Maya's 5, Obergesteln
The covered vegetable cake is anything but dangerous. The origin of the name "cholera" is surrounded by numerous stories. One explanation is that it dates back to the time when cholera broke out in Valais and the trade and exchange of foodstuffs was banned. The savoury cake was made from the farmhouse's own produce: flour, onions/leek, apples, potatoes and cheese. Another, however, is a relationship with coal, Valaisan German "Chola" or "Cholu", i. e. the frying pan with the cholera was put into the coal for baking. In fact,"Cholära" in the Valais is also a term for the open anteroom in the bakery, where the coal was collected in a pit outside the oven door.
|8 - 9 TS||water|
- For the dough, place the flour in a bowl, add the butter and salt cut into pieces and grate, add water and process to a dough, put in a cool place for 30 minutes.
- Cut the leeks and onions into rings and sauté in hot butter for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the potatoes in water until al dente, peel, slice and add to the leek. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut cheese into slices.
- Peel apples, quarter them, remove the core and slice them as well.
- Roll out half of the dough and put on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Spread the potatoes, cheese and apples on the dough in layers, leaving a rim on the dough and spread a little beaten egg on it.
- Roll out the rest of the dough, cover the filling with it, press the edge of the dough well, coat the lid with egg and prick it several times with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C for 50 minutes
Source: Cookbook "Oberwalliser Bäuerinnen kochen" (Oberwallis farmers' wives cook)
TASTE THE CHOLERA IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING RESTAURANTS
- Hotel-Restaurant Furka, Oberwald *
- Restaurant / Pizzeria Al Ponte, Oberwald *
- Gasthaus Grimsel, Obergesteln (jeweils am Donnerstag und *)
- Golf-Restaurant Source du Rhone, Obergesteln
- Hotel- Restaurant Walser, Ulrichen
- Hotel-Restaurant Croix d'Or et Poste, Münster
- Hotel-Restaurant Landhaus, Müsnter
- Hotel-Restaurant Joopi, Reckingen
- Hotel-Restaurant Tenne, Gluringen
- Pension Drei Tannen, Niederwald *
* upon request